If you’re interested in pursuing your HVAC training online, you probably have several questions about how it all works. Most of those interested in pursuing online certifications are uncertain as to how distance learning is applied in training you for a career in heating, ventilation, and air conditioning, so we’ve compiled this easy-to-use guide.
HVAC Training Online – How it’s Different
The primary focus of online classes is to prepare students for earning their HVAC certifications. This is usually accomplished by reviewing the material on common tests like the EPA Section 608 exam and reinforcing the theory covered with a combination of interactive online exercises and, occasionally, hands-on training at a physical location. This approach is in contrast to campus-based courses which require students to learn theory, industry guidelines, and processes in a physical classroom setting.
Recommended Online HVAC Certification Courses
The following online training programs are currently accepting students. To ensure that you choose the best HVAC school possible for your specific budget, learning style, and schedule, it is recommended that you request information from more than one program.
Advantages to Distance Learning Classes
Below we cover some of the main advantages you can enjoy by taking your HVAC training online.
For the average student, the biggest attraction of distance learning classes is the fact that they allow you to become location-independent. You’ll have the opportunity to study wherever, and whenever you want – all that is required is that you have an internet connection.
This obviously eliminates a few of the common challenges that adult students face when trying to fit school into their schedules:
- No need to worry about whether the course is offered in your area
- You don’t have to change your schedule to fit in classes
- You can study at the time you’re most-productive and do it from a place where you’re most comfortable
Learn at Your Own Pace
One of the most common challenges faced by educators is adapting their teaching style to specific students. Some of us learn better visually while some prefer to listen and process things internally. Others do better in a more hands-on environment.
Online classes provide the student with all of the material and tools and allow him or her to decide how best to learn from them. This approach allows for the following types of activities:
- Spend more time on the material you find difficult, and less on what you’ve already mastered
- Move at your own pace instead of having to speed up or slow down to accommodate other students
- Take advantage of bulletin boards, forums and social media to work with classmates and discuss your classwork
- Incorporate the latest information on the heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration fields into you studies as the online format is easily modified and augmented to stay current
Balance Your Responsibilities
Another reason that online learning is ideal for so many students is the flexibility it provides to those with competing responsibilities. Whether you’re a parent, work another job already, or are involved in other activities that compete for your time, having the option to fit your school is where it most makes sense is a huge advantage.
These are just a few of the types of students who benefit from distance learning:
- Parents with small children
- Employed students with irregular work schedules
- Students who live far away from the nearest school and can’t afford the time to drive back and forth to class
Last, but certainly not least, most students find that saving money is another advantage to completing your HVAC classes online. There are several ways in which this happens:
- Save money on gas and transportation
- Eliminate the expense of parking at a college campus
- Save on eating out at restaurants and cafeterias
- Because your course will be completely digital, you won’t need to buy books and supplies